The business forum at the Battersea Arts Centre last night (17th Nov 2011) was filled with a special energy. I do not say that lightly, bearing in mind I have been to hundreds of exhibitions, networking events and customer/client service meetings since I decided to become self employed in 1993.
Wandsworth Economic Development
It was good meet the Town Centre Managers and their colleagues, who contributed to the evening's success. Wandsworth Chamber of Commerce's chairman, Chris Wyatt, opened the evening and introduced the set piece speakers, thankfully there were only two.
The real moment of truth (for me, I admit it freely) was when the panel of local business owners took to the stage and were asked to explain their motivation and personal views about working in Battersea; none of the usual sales hype which tends to dominate at networking events and exhibitions.
Battersea - a creative hub in London
Most of my professional life I have lived in New Malden and for me it was a real revelation to meet fellow business owners and I sensed a pride (not the right word, but I am sure you know what I mean) to be part of the Battersea business community.
Standing our from the crowd
My lasting memory of the evening was to hear Anthony Laban (Lavender Hill Traders Association), who vociferously praised the many privately run coffee shops and the decline of the big PLC names in that service sector. I can relate to that, because I used to work for a global banking brand. The attitude and level of service commitment of most employees in large corporates simply cannot compare to the energy and commitment of the smaller traders and their employees